When is the last time you have taken a writing self-evaluation? Performing a writing self-evaluation encourages you to move forward with your writing goals and learn what habits or attitudes are holding you back. Answer these 15 questions to define your commitment to your writing:
1. What writing accomplishments have you achieved in the past year?
2. What are your writing strengths?
3. What are your writing weaknesses?
4. What is your current writing project? How long have you been working on this project?
5. What is working in your current writing project? What in your current writing project needs works?
6. Name the last five pieces of writing that you read (book, magazine/journal, short story, etc.) and estimate the date of completion.
7. Name the next five pieces of writing that you want to read (book, magazine/journal, short story, etc.)
8. How many days each week do you write? How long do your writing sessions last?
9. How productive are you during your writing sessions?
10. What keeps you from your writing sessions? What can you do to make writing a priority?
11. Think back to your most successful writing session. Describe the environment (place, time of day, etc.). What did you do that made the writing session successful?
12. Think back to your least successful writing session. Describe the environment (place, time of day, etc.). What did you do that made the writing session unsuccessful?
13. Do you keep a journal? Are you consistent with your journal entries?
14. What have you done in the past year to improve your writing craft (taken classes, attended conferences/workshops, read writing improvement materials, etc.)?
15. What are your writing goals for the next twelve months? What steps do you plan to take to achieve these goals?
Did any of your answers on your writing self-evaluation surprise you? Consider taking a writing self-evaluation every six months to track your achievements and improvements.
Show that you’ve self-evaluated your writing by voting in my poll.
What other questions deserve to appear on this writing self-evaluation? Share your questions below.